Monday, May 19, 2008

Contrasting deconversion stories

My only real interest in this is that I don't particularly have a deconversion story. In Japan previously I referred to myself as an evangelical atheist, a nice little irony that deeply appealled to me. When I started to put together this blog years later I found that title already taken. Gakkari shimashita.

A while back I ran across two celebs talking about their experiences on leaving faith behind.

Ricky Gervais discusses how he became an atheist here. Gervais is familiar to anyone who's watched the telly over the last few years.

On the other hand, Bart Ehrman discusses the long road to becoming an agnostic (though he freely admits that he really doesn't believe in god anymore) here. It's a moving story of the process of losing faith.

By the way, Ricky, babe. It's pronounced Jher-vay, not Jer-vayse. Just thought you should know that.

No comments: