Saturday, October 27, 2007

Largest English School in Japan files for Bankruptcy Protection

Links basically without comment.

Scandal-ridden English language schools close doors | | Guardian Unlimited Business
Nova seeks court protection from creditors | The Japan Times Online
Nova was founded in 1981 as Nova Planning Ltd. According to METI, Nova told prospective students they could book language lessons any time they want and at any school nationwide. However, many clients complained that they were not able to reserve lessons during busy periods.

Nova students give poor grades to management | The Japan Times Online
Nova files for court protection / President fired; firm seeking rehabilitation : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
Four NOVA executives quit, including founding board member - Mainichi Daily News
Nova founder Sahashi took dictatorial approach : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
Nova students, teachers up in arms : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
Nova files for court protection / President fired; firm seeking rehabilitation : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)
Teachers trapped as English school, Nova, goes bust - Times Online
Western teachers in Japan face redundancy as Nova language schools close - Times Online
BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | UK embassy to help Japan teachers
Slashdot | Nova Scotia to Build Space Tourist Launchpad
Ottawa considers $45-million boost for Cape Breton space project
Wait. Those last two are the wrong Nova. Never mind.


Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Rev.Paperboy said...

As someone who spent four years slaving in the eikaiwa mines at NOVA, and who is still sobering up from Friday's wake for the bunny, all I can say is good riddance to bad rubbish. There is a good cartoon on my blog though

The Eternal Gaijin said...

I did my time there as well. You may not remember, but we worked together on the area newsletter. Think of the non-Irish, non-English member of the team.
I know there were problems, but I can't really support the demonizing I see on a lot of the message board sites. Most of the big stuff that's come down is/was really out of the hands of the foreign staff right up to the highest levels.

Rev.Paperboy said...

Jebus H. Kristofferson! I do remember you, but had no idea you were the eternal gaijin. Wow, small world. That newsletter was probably the bright spot in my Nova career. I had a lot of bad ATs and Trainers over the years and I think Nova had a very sick corporate culture - most of which can be traced to the top echelon.

The Eternal Gaijin said...

Hey. [waves hand in a fakely non-committal, too-cool-for-the-room way but not quite pulling it off]
Good to know I'm remembered.
Tell you when I figured it out: you posted a book review 'bout a novel by and old judo buddy of mine, Barry Eisler (we knew each other at the Kodokan in Tokyo in '94/5). I'd had a sense of familiarity with some of the details you had sprinkled here and there, but that was when I saw the by-line.
I won't deny there were problems, but I will say that some of the places I've worked since have made me think that it was better run that I realized at the time. Anyway, I'm not really going run up/down old companies. I'm a bit more interested in what happens next in Japan in the market for foreign workers and also how this affects Japan as a destination for for sojourn/migrant workers.