He ends with 17 possible answers to why patients prayed for were slightly worse off.
1. God doesn't exist.
2. God doesn't intervene.
3. God is highly selective.
4. God ignores form letters.
5. God requires a personal reference.
6. God is unmoved by the size of your lobbying team.
7. God ignores third parties.
8. God takes His time.
9. God has a backlog.
10. God ignores you if you don't pray hard enough.
11. God ignores you if you're wicked.
12. God helps those who help themselves.
13. God does not hear the prayer of a Christian.
14. God chooses His own outcome measures.
15. God doesn't participate in studies.
16. God hates being told what to do.
17. God is malevolent.